Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Trip to Madurai

(17 Aug) For our second term break, I traveled seven hours south to the famous temple town of Madurai. Seven hours on semi-suicidal Indian roads may not seem like much of a break, but trust me, seven hours between me and the College were just what I needed. While there we visited the famous Sri Meenakshi Temple. The temple gets renovated every twelve years and you guessed it, this is a twelfth year. Despite the palm scaffolding covering the massive temple towers, it was still fascinating to see devout Hindis doing their pujas. For those of you who have traveled with me before, you'll know that scaffolding seems to follow me wherever I travel.

Street market

Entrance to Thirumalai Nayakar Mahal


Arches

Standard Indian traffic

The only un-scaffolded tower

Posing with Shiva and a bunch of scaffolding.

Golden Lotus Pond

Puja for the Nandi

I actually have no idea what's going on here...

On the way home from Madurai, we stopped at another famous temple town called Palani. We climbed hundreds of steps in the scorching heat to reach the Dhandayudhapani Temple.

Crowds below the temple.

Temple minder

Beginning the climb.

Ornamentation atop the temple.

View of Palani from the temple top.

Uh, monkey.

No comments: