Sunday, June 15, 2008

Fine Dining

(1 Jun) Another adjustment for me here in India is having a full-time cook working for me. Mary is a very conscientious worker, but this is the first time she's cooked for a Westerner, so there's been a bit of a learning curve for her. I try to have her mix in both Indian and American dishes so that I don't get bored of the same meals over and over. Unfortunately if I'm not specific in what I want, she sometimes has to guess at what suits an American palate. Case in point; one day my stomach was feeling a bit under the weather--actually, this pretty much describes your entire first three weeks in India. Anyway, when Mary asked what I wanted for dinner, I told her to just make a grilled cheese sandwich and some soup. Basic comfort foods, or so I thought. Having never been instructed as to what exactly a grilled cheese sandwich is, Mary decided to improvise. My expectation--bread...cheese...bread...grilled. Her execution--bread...cheese...tomatos...cucumbers...carrots...french fries (?)...and the coup de grace, peanut butter (?!). Needless to say, my American food orders have since become much more specific. Bon Appetit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bear- was the sandwich also deep fried in "Sundrop Oil?" Keep the pepto handy and just remember that an upset stomach is a "get outa jail (DSSC) free card" if you ever feel like bunking class. Hope the experience is on the upswing.

Best regards,
Mike

Unknown said...

You know, that doesn't look so bad. Think about it, there is a future business opportunity here. You and your "personal cook" (damn, why did I ever get out of the Air Force?) have a year to work on your Indian/American fusion menu, then you can open a trendy restaurant somewhere in the States and charge $20 something called "Grilled Cheese Rasam Delight"!