Sunday, June 1, 2008

Hot Time in Delhi

(11 May) I arrived at Delhi's Indira Gandhi International Airport at 8 pm on a Sunday. I'd heard stories of India's formidable bureaucracy, and it looked like my first introduction to this phenomenon would be at the immigration line. At least two hundred arriving passengers were queued up to get into the country. Much to my surprise, the Embassy had sent an "expediter" who pulled me out of line, whisked me over to an empty immigration counter, and after a cursory glance at my passport, showed me to the baggage claim area. From there my baggage was collected and I was handed-off to the hotel driver who shoved me into a car and off we drove into the Delhi night headed for my five-star hotel. My week in Delhi was spent getting in-processed through the Embassy prior to heading south for school. May in Delhi is surely one of the most miserable places on Earth...110 degree temperatures, oppressive smog, dirt and dust everywhere, and at last count, 12 million or so sweaty Delhi residents teeming in the streets. It's not quite Hell, but the resemblance is striking. While in Delhi I also met up with the outgoing Staff College student (Mike) and the US Army family that would be attending Staff College with me this year (Jeff and Tera). Many beers were shared while discussing the adventure before us.
Despite the conditions, Delhi still had many ancient and interesting sights to see:
Entrance to the Jami Masjid--Jami Masjid, India's largest mosque--India Gate in New Delhi

Humayun's Tomb--Doorway in Humayun's Tomb--Isa Khan's Tomb

Qutb Minar, India's highest tower--Me in the ancient Quwwat-ul-Islam Mosque--mosque detail
In and around the Red Fort

Common Delhi sights: Crowded streets in Chandni Chowk--Insane traffic--Stray Delhi dogs everywhere


No comments: